SUMMARY, Not transcript
Itinerary for Sanger’s trip to Japan and India. Annotated by Sanger
Oct. 30, 1952
- 6:30 am. Arrives at Yokohama on President Cleveland, “60 reporters & camera men—flowers—meeting at Mainichi greet Mr. Honda.”
- 9:30 am. Landing at Yokohama
- 2:00 pm. Round-table radio discussion held at the Teikoku Hotel. Shidzue Kato was moderator, other guest was Mrs. Hanako Muraoka, “very good”\
- 4:00 pm. Welcome part at the Tokyo Kaikan, sponsored by Mr. Honda, who was president of the Population Problem Research Council of the Mainichi Papers. “lovely club” Notes the other guests were the Minister of Welfare “cocktails & juices” and the Committee members of the Research Committee.
Oct. 31, 1952
- 10:00 am. Round-table discussion for Newspapers at the Yakukin Oosetsu Shitzu (Drawing Room for Committee members). Moderator was Mr. Takata the managing editor of Mainichi, in addition to Sanger, guests were Abraham Stone, Yoshio Koya, Shidzue Kato, Toyshiko Kagawa (“missionary”)
- 1:30 pm. Meeting for a free discussion of Planned Parenthood Problem at the Conference Room (Dai Kaigishitsu) of the Mainichi. “40 Professional women.”
- 5:00 pm. Governor of Tokyo Metropolis is invited. “Did not come.”
Nov. 1, 1952
- 10:00 am -12:00 Public Health Institute, Inspection on the instructor’s training for birth control movement in Japan, Sanger and Stone attended.
- 1:30 pm. Lecture meeting sponsored by Mainichi an Kyobashi Public Hall. Shidzue Kato spoke on “About Mrs. Sanger,” then Sanger gave her address, then Dr. Stone talked about “Planned Parenthood Movement.” and Yoshio Koya talked on “For Japanese Motherhood.” They then showed a movie (16 m.m. Micro-Scope picture produced by Sanger. - Part I: Biology of Conception and Part II: Mechanics of Contraception.
- 6:45 pm. Handwritten addition: “Lt Schaefer to take Mrs. Brush, Ingersoll, and MS to dinner.
Nov. 2, 1952
- Before noon. Rest
- 1pm-3pm. Observation on instructions made at Kome Mura (Komae Primary School, Tokyo). “Newsletter ended here.”
Nov. 3, 1952
- 1pm-4pm. Lecture meeting for Leaders of Welfare Project at Kanagawa Ken Fukushi Kaikan (Kanagawa Prefecture Social Welfare Hall), Tan Machi, Kanagawa, Ku, Yokohama City.
- Trip to Hakone via Kamakura, staying a night in Hakone Hotel.
Nov. 4, 1952
- 10:50 am. Leave Numazu by “Tsubame”
- 5:00pm. Arrive at Osaka, stay one night. Notes that Dr. Stone will part from the group to have free discussions with nurses in Tokyo and nearby prefectures.
Nov. 5, 1952
- 1:30 pm. Lecture meeting in Osaka, sponsored by the Mainichi Newspapers. Place of the meeting not decided. Stay one night at Kyoto.
Nov. 6, 1952
- Before noon. City tour
- 2:00 pm. Round-table discussion by Sanger with specialists in this field at the Lecture Hall, the Mainichi Newspapers, Kyoto.
- 8:17 pm. Leave Kyoto
Nov. 7, 1952
- Before noon. Observation on concentrated areas.
- 1:00-5:00pm. Round-table discussion with interested ladies.
- 4:00pm. Kabuki. “Japanese play at Opera House glorious curtain Kariss Iris reproduction. Mrs. Ward- Edna taken small placed to eat.
Nov. 8, 1952
- 5:00 pm. Leave Haneda for Bankgok.
Members of the group: Sanger, Stone, Brush, Ingersoll. “Leave Sunday Nov. 9 for Hong Kong via P.A.”